Monday, February 25, 2008

"Dental Wii" for Designing False Teeth

An article in the Boston Globe talks about a new technology from SensAble Technologies that helps dental labs design partial sets of false teeth using 3D technology.

SensAble issued a release about the new technology at the Chicago Dental Society midwinter show last Friday.

Dentistry is quickly moving to 3D technologies -- yet many labs employ technicians who use non-digital techniques they've spent decades perfecting. According to SensAble, their new technology will help labs "ease into" digital restorations.

For dentists, it will decrease the number of chairside adjustments that have to be made to partial restorations that come from the lab.

3D technology is already in use in the dental office. In my office, for example, I'm able to develop crowns in one visit using Sirona's CEREC machine, which employs 3D technology.

You can view the CEREC machine via the virtual tour of my office. (Click on "treatment room" once you enter the virtual tour, and then click the "info" button at the bottom of the treatment room page.)

You can also learn more about how this machine is benefiting patients.

1 comment:

Nora Jeanne Hirsu said...

Hey you have an interesting blog! I am definitely going to bookmark your site. Thank you for contributing to the dental community.

BTW, I am conducting a survey on Dental Anxiety and would appreciate it if you could spare sometime to answer a few questions at:

Dental Anxiety Survey

Please free to forward the survey to as many people as possible or write about it at your blog. I hope with the data collected, will enable me to better understand the type of fears one experience whenever they visit the dentist. I will be most happy to give you the priority rights to display the data on your site 7 days before I do a press release. Please email me if you are keen to display the data.

thank you
2th Gen Team
Dental Anxiety Survey
Dental Emergency Kit